Tender pork slow cooked in a smoky adobo tomato sauce then piled on toasted bread and topped with a garlic mayo.
My slow cooker is one of my favorite kitchen appliances. I use it all year long. I love using it when it’s 8 degrees outside and when its 108 degrees. It is life-saving if you ask me. I especially love it when we are in the craziness of baseball season. Now I have to admit, baseball season around our house is much calmer now than it was when all five of my boys were playing. That was pure insanity, but I loved it and I actually miss it. I’m down to my youngest two playing and while it makes life a little less chaotic, it makes me kinda sad.
These Slow Cooker Adobo Pork Sandwiches are what we shoveled into our mouths the other night as we were headed to baseball games. They were fabulous. What’s not to love? Toasted bread, slathered in garlic mayo, then piled with smoky, tender pork and topped with pickles and whatever else you’d like. The recipe suggested red onions, which I didn’t have, but I probably wouldn’t have put them on anyway. I used shredded purple cabbage and lots of pickles. Now hopefully you’re a fan of pickles, but I guess if you’re not, you can leave them off, but it makes these sandwiches soooooo good! My boys also piled on some shredded cheddar cheese.
Give them a try and let me know what you think.
- 2 cups drained canned chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons adobo sauce*
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 lb. pork roast
- Texas Toast Bread
- Toppings: pickles, red onions, whatever else you'd like
- Garlic Mayo:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of fresh black pepper
- In a blender combine tomatoes, brown sugar, chili powder, red wine vinegar, chipotle chilis, honey and garlic. Process until smooth.
- Cut pork in half, and place in a 5-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt. Pour tomato mixture over pork. Cook on low 7-8 hours or high 5-6 hours Remove from slow cooker and shred. Return meat to slow cooker and stir to cover in sauce.
- Toast bread until golden brown. and serve on buns with Rosemary-Garlic Mayonnaise and desired toppings.
- Combine mayo ingredients in small bowl and mix until smooth.
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from a Slow Cooker Country Living Magazine