On the second day of Sugar my true love gave to me . . . Black and White Holiday Bark
Oh boy is this stuff yummy!
I saw this the other day on Mel’s Kitchen Cafe and new immediately I had to make this. The combination of the dark chocolate with the sweetness of the white chocolate is perfect, then add in some crunch with the rice krispies and a little tartness with the dried cranberries and you have yourself something pretty amazing.
Honestly, I haven’t been able to stop eating this. Thankfully we had my husband’s family party last night so I took the rest it to there. Everyone LOVED it and I love that they finished it off, otherwise I would have.
I thought about substituting milk chocolate for the dark, but I am so glad I didn’t. It would have been too sweet with the milk chocolate. I opted for a milk chocolate drizzle on top, which was just perfect. This stuff is so easy to make, you really should try it.
- 1 pound bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup Rice Krispies cereal
- ¾ cup dried cranberries, divided
- 1 pound white chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup milk chocolate chips
- Line an 8X8-inch or 9X9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, allowing the foil to extend over the sides, and set aside.
- In a medium size microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate at 50% power for 1 minute. Stir, scraping down the sides. Continue microwaving at 30 second intervals, still at 50% power, until small lumps remain. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Spread the chocolate into the prepared pan and chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Melt the white chocolate using the same method as the dark chocolate. When the white chocolate is completely melted, stir in the rice krispies and ½ cup of the cranberries until everything is evenly mixed.
- Spread this mixture over the chilled chocolate mixture in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup cranberries over the top. Chill for 30 minutes or until the white chocolate layer is set.
- Place the chocolate chips in a small ziploc bag, microwave for one minute. With your hands gently squish the chocolate chips, until smooth. If needed, microwave in 20 second increments until chocolate chips are completely melted.
- Snip a tiny corner off the bag and drizzle it over the top of the bark. Let the bark sit for 10 minutes until the drizzle is set.
- Remove the bark from the pan by lifting up on the foil. Carefully peel the foil away. Cut the bark into squares with a sharp knife. The bark will keep, well-covered, in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Recipe source: Mels Kitchen Cafe