With Thanksgiving being three days away, I thought I’d share with you this week some of our family’s favorite things we eat EVERY Thanksgiving.
I love everything about Thanksgiving. . . the food, my family, the way-too-many desserts we have, sandwiches made with the leftover turkey & homemade cranberry sauce, etc. It’s one of my favorite holidays.
This cranberry salad is one of the many things I love about Thanksgiving. Just look at it, isn’t it so pretty? I don’t know of a single person in my entire family/extended family that doesn’t absolutely LOVE this salad. It is the absolute bomb!!
It’s probably the thing I look forward to the most on Thanksgiving. We have been eating this every Thanksgiving for as long as I can remember, I don’t even remember one without it.
When I got married and had my first Thanksgiving with my husband’s family, I had to make this because it just would have been completely wrong to have a Thanksgiving dinner without it. I now have my husband’s family hooked on it. His sisters and even his aunt, make it every year.
My grandma was always the one who made it every year, she made it better than anyone else. If you’re looking for a new salad to try for Thanksgiving, you really should make this. I love the tartness from the cranberries and the sweetness of the apples and marshmallows, it’s just a winning combination. The great thing about it (other than it’s just so dang good) is that you need to make most of it the night before, so that’s just one less thing you need to worry about on Thanksgiving day when you’re already trying to get a million other things ready.
I promise you will love this salad and it may just become your Thanksgiving tradition. Tomorrow I will share one of our favorite desserts that is another Thanksgiving must have with my family.
- 1 pkg. (12 oz) cranberries
- 2 large apples, peeled and grated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pkg. (16 oz) mini marshmallows
- 1 pint whipping cream, whipped (do NOT sweeten)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Chop the cranberries using a food processor or blender. In a large bowl, place chopped cranberries, grated apple, entire bag of marshmallows and the sugar. Mix well and cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Just before serving, fold in the whipped cream (and pecans, if using) into the cranberry mixture.
- Store in refrigerator.