- 1 pound Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- 4 cups water
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 can (14 oz) beef broth
- 1 can (10 oz) bean with bacon soup
- 2 cans (15oz) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 pkg. frozen cheese tortellini
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
I’ve decided that the only good thing about winter is all the yummy soups. This minestrone is absolutely delicious. There are so many reasons to love this soup . . . . It’s so quick and simple to make—it honestly takes about 10 minutes to throw it together, you probably have all the ingredients on hand, and it’s so good ( and even better the second day).
This recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks. I’ve made a few changes to it, including adding the tortellini, which we love. I love the bean with bacon soup in it, it adds such a great flavor. I love to serve this with some good artisan bread or cornbread. It’s a great, simple, delicious meal.
- Brown sausage in large pot. Drain any grease.
- Add remaining ingredients except the tortellini and simmer, uncovered over low heat for one hour.
- Add tortellini and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Recipe source: Adapted from the Essential Mormon Celebrations Cookbook